Many people function under the mistaken belief that marijuana is a harmless drug, thus not only do many people use the drug expecting that no harm will come of it, but many family members may not recognize the red flags that can signify the need for treatment when marijuana abuse is an issue.
It’s not always easy to help someone who is struggling with marijuana to recognize the dangers associated with its use and accept treatment. The following steps are recommended to concerned family members who are attempting to guide their loved one into a treatment program that can help them heal:
- Recognize the dangers of marijuana addiction and do not undervalue the immediate need for treatment.
- Find a rehab program that is suited to your loved one’s rehabilitation needs.
- Stage an intervention for your loved one that offers them immediate entry into the chosen rehab program.
Marijuana Is Addictive
Not sure what to believe when it comes to the addictive nature of marijuana? Consider the following:
- It is believed that nine percent, or almost one in 10 people, who try marijuana will develop an addiction to the drug.
- When people begin to use marijuana during their teen years, those numbers rise; that is, one in six people who try the drug at a young age will ultimately develop a dependence upon it. That same study revealed that those who used the drug daily during their teens were between 25 and 50 percent more likely than non-daily users to develop a marijuana addiction.
- A study of twin pairs found that the twin who used marijuana before the age of 17 demonstrated higher rates of use of other illicit substances and long-term drug problems that lasted for the rest of their lives as compared to their non-drug-using twin.
Staging an Intervention
The first step in staging an intervention is to find the right drug rehab for your loved one. This means that you must locate the rehabilitation center that has the resources to address all the issues that may contribute to your loved one’s use of drugs. This means that the chosen drug rehab should offer:
- Detox and medical care for underlying conditions, if necessary
- Intensive diagnostic evaluations to identify co-occurring mental health disorders, behavioral disorders and other issues
- Long-term psychotherapeutic care to address the addiction problem as well as any co-occurring disorders
- Assistance with job skills, education help, job placement, financial and budgeting assistance, and parenting classes on an as-needed basis
Once a spot has been secured in the appropriate program, it’s time to stage an intervention if your loved one is resistant to treatment. At an intervention, you can gather together concerned family members who are ready to lovingly confront your addicted family member with the single-minded goal of helping them to enter treatment. Some tips include:
- Holding a planning meeting to ensure that everyone’s questions are answered
- Hiring an interventionist to assist you
- Packing a bag for your loved one so that he or she can leave for treatment immediately
- Remaining calm, nonjudgmental and focused on the goal of helping your loved one recognize the need for addiction treatment throughout the intervention process
Learn More About Black Bear Lodge Today
You can find out more about our unique, personalized marijuana addiction treatment program here at Black Bear Lodge when you contact us at the phone number listed above. Don’t wait. Call now.